Dental implants are titanium posts surgically placed in the jawbone and later covered with a permanent crown. Porcelain or composite dental crowns are made in the lab from teeth impressions taken during the initial consultation. Placing dental implant is a complex procedure that usually takes several months and multiple trips to the dentist. The least you need to know:
- Each patient is unique, and each dental implant is custom-made to meet the patient’s specific needs.
- Dental implants have a high success rate.
- Wound healing is often completed within twelve weeks or three months after surgery.
- Patients need enough bone in the jaw to support implant insertion. They must also have healthy gums.
- Patients with chronic illnesses need thorough evaluation before the procedure.
Removable dentures can feel like a foreign object in the mouth, and they can be misplaced. They can also be high-maintenance, requiring special cleaning and adhesives. Without tooth roots to anchor false teeth, the jawbone may lose density over time. Dentures are still the most cost-effective solution to missing teeth, however.
Dental implants are the best solution to one or more missing teeth. Implants are strong and stable, enabling patients to eat a wide range of foods including those with a tough and sticky consistency. Porcelain dental crowns are also resistant to stains and discoloration, giving the appearance of healthy, white teeth.
Dental implants are relatively low maintenance. With proper oral hygiene (regular brushing and flossing and regular dental check-ups), dental implants can last a lifetime. Dental implants can improve your quality of life by making eating less of a tedious task. Because you have a full set of permanent, beautiful teeth, you’ll also feel more confident.
Contact your Santa Cruz implant dentist today to learn more about our solutions to missing teeth.